I’m sure that every environmentally conscious college student has run into countless dead ends when trying to find school supplies that are not all plastic or incredibly expensive.
So, here are a few items that I found when trying to find materials that were made of mostly, if not fully recycled materials, as well as having a minimal impact on the environment.
Another thing to consider is the fact that a lot of your school supplies can be created yourself, or reused. This may sound like an absurd thing to do, but when I’m finished with my notebooks I will erase each page and reuse it. It is no small task, but if it saves me another $8 why not?
Rather than buying a plastic pencil box or bag, you can easily sew your own!
Eco Pencil Highlighters
I found these on amazon and at first glance, you may be turned off by the price tag, but it is really a great company and these things are HUGE, so they could very well be the last set of highlighters you ever need to buy.
- No ink bleeding
- Very bright and colorful
- Because of their size, they last forever!
- 6 colors AND comes with a wooden pencil sharpener
- Made from sustainable wood from managed forests
- Biodegradable and contain no plastic or harmful chemical compounds
- Shipped in eco-friendly packaging
- Price-about 20$ on Amazon
Onyx & Green Erasers
- Erases just as well as other erasers
- Made from recycled materials
- The ink is naturally sourced from soy
- The packaging is partially recycled
- 3 pack with 3 non-boring colors
- Excessive plastic packaging
- Slightly more expensive than traditional erasers
Onyx & Green Notebooks
- Made from sugar cane fibers, which is a waste/bi-product of sugar manufacturing
- No trees have to be cut down for their production
- Requires less water, less bleach, and less energy to create
- Writes, erases, and feels the same as regular notebook paper
- Price- Amazon has a 360 page, 5 subject notebooks for $7.99
- Recycled materials
- Cool designs on the front cover
- Writes, feels, and erases the same as typical notebooks
- None that I can see!